The PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) is condition in which hormonal imbalance occurs in a woman's body and results in symptoms like enlarged ovaries, irregular periods, elevated levels of androgen (male hormone), skin acne, excess facial and body hair along with the appearance of small cysts on the body near the outer edges of the ovaries.
Things To Know About PCOS
- It is a hormonal problem that affects woman of (15-44) age group.
- It puts the reproductive hormones of woman out of balance.
- It causes cysts in the enlarged ovaries.
- It produces large amounts of male hormones called as androgens.
- It causes a disturbance in the menstrual cycle and causes irregular periods.
- It causes acne and growth of unwanted hair.
The Underlying Causes Of PCOS(Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)
There is no scientific proof about the underlying causes of PCOS(Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) but few of the key factors responsible for its occurrence are given below:
- It may occur due to family medical history (heredity) and there are some genes which are called bad genes which transmit from one generation to another.
- If there is an increase in insulin levels which maintains blood sugar levels, then this excess of insulin increase the androgen (male hormone) levels that will cause the complications in ovaries.
Symptoms Of PCOS
- Weight gain and makes you obese.
- Skin infections such as acne.
- Irregular periods.
- Heavy bleeding than normal in periods.
- Unwanted hair growth
- Dark skin patches.
- Elevated blood sugar level.
Foods To Avoid During PCOS
- Items such as snacks like potato chips.
- Foods containing large amounts of sugar like cake or cookies.
- Vegetables that contain starch such as potatoes, peas.
- Energy drinks having the high level of sugar.
- Canned food items using artificial sweeteners.
- Foods which contain gluten.
- Foods which contain soy products.
Food To Include During PCOS
- Foods which are rich in high fiber.
- Fresh organic fruits without artificial sweetener.
- Green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach etc.
- Fruits containing whole grains such as oats, brown rice, pasta.
- Food items which are gluten-free in nature.
- Food items which have the low level of starch.
Yoga Poses To Follow During PCOS
- Nadisodhan Pranayama
- Bhramri Pranayama
- Bhadrasana (Butterfly pose)
- Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
- Naukasana (Boat pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose)
- Warrior pose (Superman pose)
- Supta Badhakonasana (Reclining Butterfly Pose)
- Bharadvajasana (Bharadvaja’s Twist)
- Chakki Chalanasana (moving the grinding wheel)
- Shavasana (Corpse pose)
Ayurveda Treatment For PCOS
There is no cure for this disease but applying the natural ayurvedic treatments might bring down some of the most acute symptoms of the PCOS. There are many natural ayurvedic herbs available that will help you in improving fertility and bring back the balance of the hormones up to some extent.
Some of the most prominently used ayurvedic treatments are given below:
Vaman Technique also known as Herbal vomiting is a process which eliminates the unnecessary toxins out of the body in the form of vomiting.
Basti also was known as Herbal Enema in which a herbal medicated oil is introduced into the rectum which flushes out all the harmful impurities of the body and provides balance to the body
Recommended Ayurvedic Supplements For PCOS
- Compound mixture of herbal powders of Varuna, Lodhra, Guduchi, Punarnava, Ashoka, Amalaki
- Kanchanar guggulu.
- Sthoulyahara capsules
- Lekhaniya vati
These supplements are to be consumed in a certain pattern and quantity which is determined by the Ayurveda specialist after studying your symptoms, your past behavioral patterns, depression, anxiety and other issues. Once these are studied well ( as each person faces different symptoms in varied intensity). The specialist will suggest the remedies in accordance to your problems. This would include changes in diet to cleanse your system, yoga, meditation and herbal, natural supplements to better your immunity and cure health problems.
To consult our Ayurvedic Specialists, please click here.
P.S. Our specialists are certified Ayurvedic professional holding the degrees from renowned and authentic Ayurveda institutes in India. They offer online consultation and continuously monitor your progress.